Friday 11 November 2011

Smile!

Today Toddler Tyke had his first dentist experience. I have always been very strict about teeth brushing, not drinking juice out of lidded cups, sweets in moderation etc with the aim to promote the importance of dental hygiene to him.


Today I had a check-up at the dentist and decided that he was probably the right age to come along with me and see what it was all about.

I had been preparing him for several days, talking about how excited I was to go and see the dentist and how he could show the dentist his lovely clean teeth. On the way, I talked very positively about what a lovely time we would have and if he was a good boy, the dentist might give him a little present. Sitting in the waiting room, he chatted happily to some of the other patients and played with his toy cars.

We were called in and he watched with interest as the dentist looked in my mouth and took a ‘photo’ of a tooth that had been giving me trouble.

I smiled lots to reassure Toddler that everything was ok and it was a good experience. The dentist showed Toddler the photo of mummy’s teeth and then he got a chance to sit in the chair like mummy. He was fascinated by the fact that the chair moved up and down.

 
With a bit of encouragement, Toddler eventually decided that he would like to show the dentist his teeth too and opened wide.

After a quick peek in his mouth, he was presented with a lovely green balloon which he quickly passed to me and asked me to put in the bag.

Once we got to the car, I asked Toddler if he wanted to hold his balloon.

His response “I don’t like that balloon – it’s too greeny!”.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete