Tuesday 10 August 2010

Brick Walls

I knew when I started this venture, that I would come across people who find it hard to imagine boys in tights. As blogged previously, I have received no end of strange looks when explaining my business plans. This whole venture isn’t about sexuality. I’m not dressing boys in pink frilly dresses and putting bows in their hair. That would provide no function whatsoever. I am purely taking boy's clothing back to its roots. Back to a time when items of dress where for practicality, not just about fashion.



I knew that I would be taking on stereotypes. I knew that I would come across naivety and prejudice. It makes me sad.



For every odd look or sarcastic comment, I am truly grateful for the messages of support that I receive each and every day. The number of people who have messaged me to tell me what a fantastic idea Tykes Tights is, and the people who tell me that they put their boys in tights but keep the girly designs well hidden! So many words of encouragement to keep me going.



Whilst I am making an Oscar style speech, the biggest encouragement has come from family. Not just my blood and marital relatives, but my ‘extended’ 30something family. The girls who have helped me to make decisions right from day one, from logo design, name choices and web design. Thank you.



A wise man once told me that I will come across brick walls. These brick walls would be difficult to knock down, but once down, they would stay down and my path would be easier. I am knocking down several walls a day, but I look behind me and there they are, crumbled piles of brick to brush to one side.

1 comment:

  1. I think its great that you want to put boys in tights. In Europe it is completkey normal to see boys in tights. they are very useful, keep their legs nice and warm, practical when they start to crawl.
    During the winter they are worn under trousers, duringnspring worn with shorts (I doubt the uk is day for that one yet)

    Best of luck

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete